Monday, February 16, 2015

That aroma..



Today, as I parked my car into the parking area and walked towards my new office I paused for few seconds. There was a strong aroma of food coming from a near-by restaurant.  It seemed to be a mix of some spices and pickles. One would wonder what was so unique about it. It was usual for any lane near a restaurant to smell of food. However, for me it was special. It took me back in time when I used to visit my grandmother. She was a retired professor who was not so much into cooking; however she used to make the world’s best daal-chaawal (lentils and rice). The yellow daal simmered in ghee and cumin seeds would be spread over hot and steaming rice. She used to serve it with mango pickle and pappads. I still remember that as a child who generally had a problem finishing food I used to gulp down the whole plate without burping once. I think that more than the food it was my grandmother’s love that made it so mouthwatering.



No comments: